Saturday 15 June 2013

My Time To Craft - GDT - 'Triptych'

Good Morning! gosh... I can't believe it's weekend again already... where did the last week go!!!  it's my 3rd Week as GD with



I'm so loving the themes.... and this week we want you to make a card that is....

"Triptych"

 Now I did have to Google this theme.... I had heard of Triptych with regard to Altar Pieces in Churches.... they were made with three panels, sometimes with carved wood and illuminated paintings on the inside... the Tri of course meaning 'three' - and they can either be displayed open or else folded and tied with ribbon or clasp...  as this was my first attempt at this I kept things fairly simple.. :-) and I'm so sorry - I forgot to photograph it folded and tied with ribbon!!


As some of you know already... I'm very into Genealogy/ Family History and so decided to use a photograph is of my Gt Grandmother Ada Jane Yeates... wasn't she beautiful...she was born in Penrith, Cumberland, England in 1867 to Thomas Yeates and Annie Bell... her father Thomas was a Watch/Clockmaker and Jeweller... there were several generations of the family that carried on the family business... and you can still find Yeates Grandfather Clocks and Watches for sale at Auctions today :-)


I've used Raspberry Road Papers and elements from a set called 'Always Forever' - they are just perfect for vintage creations.. and so, so pretty... I love the elements that you can add... I've decoupaged the teacup, jewellery and roses... it doesn't really show up in the photo but it does look nice in real life! :-)


and for the back of the Triptych - I've gone for a wood effect - I first distressed some white card with a Brown 'Courdroy' Tim Holtz Distress Pen.... and then ran it through a 'woodgrain' embossing folder... then I made three panels with chocolate brown card and ran them through another Sizzix Folder from 'Country and Flowering Foliage' Set. So I'm hoping it looks a bit like carved wood... then you can just fold and tie with a ribbon! 

I must have a go at more of these... there are so many wonderful ones you could make... for New Baby... or for special Anniversary... or Wedding.... I think they make lovely keepsakes... perfect for putting photos inside! 

There are other shapes that you can use too... you could keep it very plain with just 3 rectangles and you could also do one with an image going over all three panels... so many ways of making these..

If you put 'triptych templates' into Google images... you will find some examples of different shapes... and also some handy templates for cutting out... 
and please do visit the MTTC Blog here then you can see lots more fab designs from the rest of the team..... :-)

I would like to enter this into the following Challenges:-

Crafts & Me - 'Vintage' 
Crafty Catz - 'Let's Go Pink' 

I'm scheduling this late Friday and think the Neighbours are gearing up for one of their 'parties' !! groan!!! I'm not feeling too good either... think I'm coming down with something! :-(
So I'm getting my ear plugs out now! LOL
I hope we get some peace this weekend... but at least I can stay in warm and cosy... perfect weather for crafting... might even try and squeeze in a Christmas Card! :-)))
Take Care and hope you have a lovely weekend! 
Love and hugs

29 comments:

cotnob said...

This is gorgeous Sue, such a beautiful photograph and your frame is perfect.
It must be so nice to know some of your family history. My mother's family were all Life Boat Men and my father's were Smugglers - they both came from the Isle of Wight, we have an old book with photographs of them all, in different chapters of course!
Take care, I hope you manage some rest and that your neighbours behave themselves.
Pauline
x

KraftyKoolKat said...

This is so gorgeous sweetie. Your cutting of the template is far better than me, I useless. Your relative is very pretty and I love the layout you have put her in.

I hope the neighbours behaved themselves last night and didn't cause you any trouble. Hope you soon shake off what ever you feel is lurking in the background.

Have a good weekend.
Hugs
Cathy
xxxxx


Pat said...

Oh my gosh Sue this is just beautiful, love the way you have incorporated your genealogy into this gorgeous project. I too love tracing my family history and have been doing this for about 8 years, spent a fortune on researching and it is so additive. Hope you manage to have a peaceful weekend.

Pat xx

Doreen said...

This is beautiful,love the fabulous image and colours.xxx

Carole said...

WOW what a wonderful creation Sue. If that's your first attempt can't wait to see your next.
Hope you're feeling better.
Sorry I've not been to visit of late, you've not been appearing on my reading list, Blogger must be having another wobbly!!!

Big Hugs
Carole xXx

Vicky said...

Beautiful hun...:o)

have a lovely weekend...biggest of hugs Vicky xx

Pami said...

Wow, this is wonderful honey! I had never of this either! Such a special project and very personal to you! Have a lovely weekend! Pami x

meg said...

Hi Sue, love the design and layout of your card I have seen 3 panel cards before but didn't know what they were called. Your great grandmother was certainly a beautiful woman your choice of papers really enhances the photo. I have a few old photos which I've had restored and after a few years of neglecting my family research have gone back to it , looking for the difficult to find folk and answers to lots of questions.
Hope you have a great weekend and you and your family are all keeping well.Hugs Meg

Jo said...

A gorgeous creation Sue, great to combine 2 of your favourite things to do and it must be fascinating learning about your ancestors! Hope you're well & having a lovely weekend!
Hugs Jo x

Claire said...

This is absolutely stunning Sue - love the way you have split the image and so many gorgeous elements and that embossing is amazing. Have a fab evening hun. Hugs, Claire x

McCrafty's Cards said...

Wow Sue you have done My time to craft proud as GDT this is stunning, I like the design the roses.
Kevin xx

chrissy xx said...

JUst FABulous Sue...Such a surprise when I scrolled down to it...What a great shape and such a super idea..I LOve that you have put a personal photo in and the colours are GOrgeous..Couldn't believe that you've actually distressed your papers before putting them in a folder..going to be having a go at this sooooon lol andI'm going to Google these when I leave your page..Getting ready to watch Peter Kay now..Hope you got some sleep last night! It doesn't help when you are under the weather.
Chrissyxx

Tammy said...

WOW Sue, this is absolutely stunning!! What a beautiful picture of your Gt Grandmother and I love that fabulous frame! Gorgeous details and embossing! I hope you have a wonderful weekend!
Hugs, Tammy

Hazel (Didos) said...

Oh WOW Sue this is brilliant, what a fabby idea for your Family Tree pictures, Love it. I do hope you have had an ok day and the neighbours weren't too loud, Big Hugs Hazelxox

DesignerDiva said...

Sue you really are clever Hun, what a fabulous idea and the execution is equally as fabulous!
Hope the party is soon over for your ears sake!
Big hugs Laurie xx

Wishcraft said...

This is beautiful Sue! Fabulous design, love the photo and all your pretty details :o) Hugs, Lisa x

Donna Mosley said...

Beautiful card Sue, love the gorgeous design. What a loely photo of your Grandmother.

Donna x

Vanessa (aka V'ness, Nessa, oldschool) said...

Lovely!
So great of you to join us at MTTC as a gd!

Ann said...

Sue, this is amazing - love the details!!

Debs said...

This is awesome Sue - stunning design and so perfectly brought together. I would love to know more about my family history - I might have to pick your brains on how to get started :o)
Have a wonderful day hun.
Take care
Debs xx

Sue said...

WOW!! This is stunning Sue. Such a wonderful design, a gorgeous photo of your Gt Grandmother and the papers are really so beautiful. I really love the way you have decorated the back with so much texture too.
hugs Sue xx

Unknown said...

Wow Sue, you did an amazing job in making your triptych card! Love love the beautiful photo of your Gt. Grandmother, what a special possession. This would look really good on display in a museum! Big hugs, Ira xox
irascreacorner.blogspot.nl

Janette said...

Hi Sue, This is a beautiful family keepsake, love a bit of family history myself, nice to look back...
Thanks for sharing this with us at CraftyCatz this week.x

Kirsty Vittetoe said...

Just gorgeous Sue! What a fabulous project this is!!!!

coops said...

so stunning sue.fabulous keepsake of your family history and the design and colours are beautiful.
Thanks too for joining us this week at the Crafts and Me challenge :D

xx coops xx

Kim. said...

Sue this is absolutely gorgeous, lovely photo of your great grandmother and what a way to preserve history.
Kim xXx

Shannon White said...

Wow!! This is Just Gorgeous Sue!! And such a Lovely Tribute to your GT Grandmother too! Wow!! Love every Beautiful detail! 8-)

Hugs
Shannon

Rachel said...

Fab creation Sue, I love the shape.

Wedgie, My Time to Craft
xxx

Aunty Sue said...

Hi Sue this is such a lovely card and great embossing on it. Thans for sharing with us at Crafty Catz this week