Saturday 29 June 2013

My Time To Craft - GDT - 'Masking'

Good Morning! I can't believe we are nearly at the end of June already... where did this month go?  it's my 5th and final week of my GDT Spot with 



I want to say a HUGE Thank you to Shell and the Team for having me on board this last month! I really enjoyed the themes and had lots of fun!
So without further ado... the theme for this week is.....

'Masking'

so either use a mask in some way (colour through, emboss with etc) or as most of the DT girls have done join two or more images together using the masking technique!

I hadn't actually done this technique before with 2 stamps.... so this was a whole new technique for me... and I have to say it was a huge learning curve!! LOL - lots of mistakes were made... and it's far from perfect... so don't look too closely!!

I won this cute Holy Edwin Stamp in some candy from the lovely Claire and I thought he would be perfect for the masking technique... as he is fairly easy to cut out for the mask!! :-))

I also had this lovely Spruce Trees Stamp that I chose as my prize from Simon Says Stamp last year... so it was nice to finally get around to using both of these stamps.... I don't get much time for stamping nowadays and I do miss it....


I stamped Edwin onto a big piece of card... stamped him again and cut him out!! then placed the cutout Edwin over the one in main image using removable sticky tape...the first time I did this I cut him out of card but it was too thick and so when I stamped the Fir Trees over him... I was getting gapping all around Edwin.... so I had to redo him onto some thin paper which worked a lot better as a mask!!


I created a Sky Background and Moonlit Foreground with Distress Inks... and added some Black Diamond Stickles to the Fir Trees... love the effect as it adds lots of depth and the trees really twinkle!!


I coloured in Edwin using Copics.... kept the embellies very simple adding some lace and flower... I toyed with the idea of putting something more on the moonlit ground... but quite like the open space... so decided to leave it be... :-)

Stamps: Holy Edwin and 'Heartfelt Creations - Magnificent Spruce Trees'
Paper: from stash
Lace and Organza Flower: The Ribbon Girl

Hope you can hop on over to the MTTC Blog and see lots more gorgeous inspiration from the Team!

I would like to enter the following Challenges:-
Simon Says - 'Anything Goes' 
Inky Chicks - 'Anything Goes' 
ABC Christmas Challenge - 'M for Men or Mice' 

Well last week was lovely here in Manchester up until Thursday, then we had two days of torrential rain!! :-(   so I'm hoping it will have brightened up by today!! I'm enjoying Wimbledon this year.... quite a few injuries and shock exits though!  
I'm hoping to finish a couple of crafting projects this weekend... and I've got a Miss Marple that I taped last week.. so will watch that with my daughter one evening!  and I'm also really enjoying reading at the moment which is good as it relaxes me!!!  ;-))
Hope you all have a lovely weekend!
Take Care
Love and hugs

32 comments:

Shell Shearer Swinscoe said...

WOW! I am loving this hun, Edwin looks fab! Yay you for trying a new technique & mastering it....

Thank you so, so very much for being our GDT for the last month, your creations have truly been inspirational xx

Have a great weekend
Hugs Shell xx

Chrissy said...

Fantastic masking Sue, Love the images together and fabulous colouring, love the sparkle and wonderful sky and moon..

Luv CHRISSYxx

Shannon White said...

Wowie! Such a Fabulous scene you've created Sue! Great job with the masking too! Just Love this Lady! 8-)

Hugs
Shannon

Claire said...

Well Sue for your first attempt, it's amazing - love the design and fab colours. Hope you have a lovely weekend. Hugs, Claire x

Pami said...

I agree with Claire! This is amazing and the black stickles on the treesis genius! Enjoy your weekend honey! P x

KraftyKoolKat said...

This is awesome Sue. You have done a fantastic job masking this image. The tree's look fab as well and the clouds are fantastic. I am useless at doing them.

Have a good weekend
Hugs
Cathy
xxxxx

McCrafty's Cards said...

This is absolutely gorgeous Sue, I like the sweet Edwin image, the scene you have created the lace and the flower.
Kevin xx

Doreen said...

Beautiful card Sue,lovely design and colours.xxx

Pat said...

Oh Sue this is just gorgeous, great masking. I am so sorry this is your last week with us as you have contributed some beautiful creations, I will still keep up with you in blogland, and I am a little curious as I looked at your profile and see that you live in the Manchester area and wondered whereabouts as I live just outside Bury!

Pat xx

Vanessa (aka V'ness, Nessa, oldschool) said...

Awesome!
Thank you so much for guesting with us at MTTC!
U r fabulous :)

Sue said...

Such a beautiful card Sue. I love the cute image and the way you have created the background with the trees looks wonderful. The sky looks wonderful too.
Enjoy the rest of the tennis and I hope your weather improves soon.
hugs Sue xx

meg said...

Stunning card Sue it looks as if it took ages with the combination of stamps and distress inks, it was really worth all that effort. Your eye for detail shines through with the black stickles on the pine trees.
The lace and ribbon are perfect finishing touches. Watched Miss Marple last week hadn't seen it before hope you enjoy it. Keep well and have a great weekend Hugs Meg

Maarit at Violets Corner said...

Wow, this is a stunning card Sue, love it!

Warm hugs
Maarit

Debs said...

WOW WOW WOW Sue this is a real stunner!!!! Amazing designa nd so beautifully executed - I LOVE it!!!
It's been beautiful here the past couple of days - but not set to last :o(
I have enjoyed watching the tennis too - but can't believe the injuries and exits!!! I've always wanted to go to Wimbledon - must look into it for another year :o)
Enjoy the rest of the weekend.
Debs xx

chrissy xx said...

Well Sue! If this is your first card with Masking? You've 'cracked' it lol..What a FABulous scene this is and what a surprise to see a Magnolia stamp! I LOve it!...LOve your colours..LOve your lace...LOve your flower..LOve everything! Drolling over the sky lol it's awesome..
Chrissyxx
We've had some rain Sue but just enough to water the garden..Enjoy your weekend. x

coops said...

so gorgeous sue.fab Edwin and your scene looks stunning :D

xx coops xx

Carole said...

I think you've made a great job of this masking technique. Can't believe it's your first attempt

Have a great weekend & enjoy Miss Marple
Hugs
Carole xXx

Kirsty Vittetoe said...

The result of the new technique is beautiful, love this sweet creation!

Kathleen said...

Fabulous card, great masking and brilliant colouring.
Weather been same here too.

Kath x

Lindsay Craftymonster81 said...

Oh hun this is adorable, I love the scene you have created, edwin is adorable and your colouring is fab, hope you are having a lovely weekend
Lindsay xx

Wishcraft said...

Looks great to me hun, it's a fabulous card :o) Hugs, Lisa x

Mary J said...

Wow, that is so beautifully coloured Sue - gorgeous card!!

Glenda Atkins said...

Beautiful Sue, love the sky you created behind the trees, it is wonderful. Great job of masking, he blends right into the scene. Love it!
hugs
glenda

Tammy said...

WOW Sue this is gorgeous!! I love that sweet Edwin image and the beautiful scene you've created, it looks fabulous!! I hope you have a wonderful Sunday!
Hugs, Tammy

Unknown said...

You did an outstanding job in masking your Edwin Sue! Love the beautiful scenery you've created and your background looks brilliant! Just look at your firtrees and sky, your card really has depth! Big hugs, Ira xox
irascreacorner.blogspot.nl

Sharon said...

Thank you for your lovely comments on my blog Sue. I am now following you and have thoroughly enjoyed looking through your blog. Beautiful cards.
Hugs Sharon x

Jingle said...

Very cute! Thanks so much for playing along with us over at the Simon Says Stamp Challenge blog!

Kim. said...

I love this card Sue, the tree background with your moon looks amazing and you chose the perfect foreground image. Absolutely beautiful.
It has been great having you on the team.
Kim xXx

cotnob said...

This is a brilliant card Sue, you have created a fabulous scene with your masking.
Pauline
x

Joan Ervin said...

This is beautiful, Sue...the image is just precious and I love all your awesome masking!!!

Mau xx said...

So sweet Sue, Love the stamps together and beautiful colouring.
Hugs Mau xx

Zw@@n said...

Wow, I love your masking, it's awesome, as is your card! Thank you for joining us at ABC Christmas Challenge. Luv, Wilma