Sunday, 30 January 2011

The Key to My Heart

I really enjoyed making this card, probably because red is one of my favourite colours. The main heart digi-image is from the Valentine's Pack at Stitchy Bear Stamps, and was part of the prize that I won! I designed this card in my head the other night when I couldn't sleep. I don't count sheep!!! - I design a card instead, the only drawback being that I sometimes fall asleep and forget the design!


Anyway, I cut two of the 'Heart' Digi-Images out, to create layers and coloured the frill edges with Promarker Rose Pink. The paper in centre of heart and background is from the gorgeous  Papermania Red Hot Pad. I cut a rectangle of red card and used my wavy scissors on the edges and put a layer of pink underneath one end and used silver stickle on the other.

I decided to be brave and try decorating with silver stickles all around the outer edge! I've never had the nerve to do it before as I don't have steady hand. Thankfully it came out quite well.

Red Rose - detail

I suddenly remembered that I bought some lovely red roses from Wild Orchid Crafts before Christmas, so added one of those with a bow and silver leaves from stash. When I photograph roses on my cards, I've noticed they always look very matt and so I've added some Star Dust Stickle to give it some dimension.

The middle strip of card with the hearts on the left and the flower and button on the right, I designed and printed on computer. And it actually holds a secret!  The tab pulls out, so that you can add an extra, private sentiment!  You just have to make sure that you glue only the top and bottom of the card it slides into!

Secret Tab

I made the Sentiment "You're the Key To My Heart" on the computer also and mounted it on a small nestabilities rectangle of red card. The little key is from my jewellery stash. 

Sentiment
I am entering this card into the following Challenges:

Charisma Cardz - Challenge No. 4 - Valentines/Love
Top Tip Tuesday - Challenge No. 19 - Fabulous Flowers
A Spoon Full of Sugar - Challenge No. 136 - Valentine
Wild Orchid - Challenge No. 15 - Let's Get Sentimental
Creative Inspirations - Challenge No. 96 - Buttons and Bows (polka dot button on centre of red flower)

I have to say, that I am loving my new Sizzix Big Shot! I was a bit worried that the handle might be hard to turn, but it is surprisingly easy! I am glad, though, that I watched some You Tube videos on using the machine before I started using it. I would have had palpitations at every creak as the sandwich emerged! And those scratches on the mats!!!  LOL

22 comments:

laney said...

Beautiful Sue!!!perfectly put together!!
I like red too!!
hugs
laney

DesignerDiva said...

Sue!!! who's a clever girl - this card is fab! I love the texture you have created with all the layers and the secret tag is brill, perfect little surprise for valentines
Hugs x Laurie x

Caroljenks said...

This is beautiful - gorgeous heart!

Thanks for joining us for our 'Fabulous Flowers' challenge over at Top Tip Tuesday this week :)

Carol x

Pat said...

Wow this is so beautiful Sue! Well done!
You made me laugh with you falling asleep, is it when you are still making the card and on your desk?
Anyway, you amazed me today!
Hugs xx
Pat

Vee said...

Such a beautiful card. Thanks for joining our Valentine/Love challenge at Charisma this week. Good Luck.
xx Vee

Sue said...

Thanks Laney!

Hugs
Sue xx

Sue said...

Thanks Laurie!

Hugs
Sue xx

Sue said...

Thank you Carol!

Smiles
Sue xx

Sue said...

Thanks Pat!

I've not actually fallen asleep while making a card - yet!!!!

No when I am in bed, I have trouble actually dropping off to sleep, so I plan a card out in my imagination (how sad am I ?) - anyway, it never fails to send me to sleep. (I must bore myself to sleep!) LOL Beats counting sheep anyway!

Hugs
Sue xx

Sue said...

Thanks Vee

Smiles
Sue xx

NGCARDS said...

Lovely card hun! Thanks for joining in with our Challenge of Buttons & Bows this week over at Creative Inspirations Wednesday Challenge Blog! xxx

Sue said...

Thanks NGCARDS!

Smiles!
Sue xx

Mona Evy said...

Thi is gorgeous creation! Thanks for joining us this week at Wednesday’s Creative Inspirations Challenge Blog!

Sue said...

Thanks Mona Evy!

Smiles
Sue xx

Janie Printz said...

Hi Sue, great little card & such a sweet heart you made with the lace around it. Beautiful use of the stickles too ... I know what you mean about the Big Shot making you nervous when you run the dies thru it ... I SWORE mine was going to break both the machine & the die 1st few times I used it ...
Hugs, Janie

Sue said...

Thanks Janie!

Oooh you've become a follower!!! Sorry, I get SO excited as I've got so few LOL. Thanks for that. Yes it didn't help that the first time I used Big Shot I put the die upside down and it kind of embedded into the acrylic mat! I had to prise it out!! There was an impression of a teddy bear embedded - looked like a crime scene!

Hugs
Sue xx

Sandy's Stamping Scene said...

Hi Sue,

Thanks for visiting my blog and entering my Blog Anniversary candy draw. Best of Luck!

Great Valentine's card; this heart is gorgeous and I love the sentiment and the little charm.

Oh btw; I was really amazed to hear that it was my blog that inspired you to create your own. Thanks; can't get a much better compliment than that :-)

Take care

PaulaM said...

Oh, I like this red and white card. I like the flower and what you have done with it. Thanks for joining us at Top Tip Tuesday this week.

Stampin'Piper said...

Lovely card, a really great one for valentine!

Thanks so much for joining us at Creative Inspirations Wednesdays Challenge!

Hugs Tanja

Sue said...

Thanks Sandy!

Smiles
Sue xx

Sue said...

Thanks PaulaM!

Smiles
Sue xx

Sue said...

Thanks Tanja!

Hugs
Sue xx